Thursday, March 31, 2011

nooooodles with sticky pork - thanks Luke!


I have drooled over Luke Nguyen's meals on his tv show far too many times. My first dish of his was beautiful.
As usual I found it hard to follow his recipe so I made a few changes of my own. I switched pork neck for pork loin with crackling on it and I could not get perilla, so I substituted coriander. Apart from that it was pretty close to the recipe.
Delicious. The pork cooks up with a wonderful caramel crispy outside and nice and tender inside.

500g pork loin, chopped into chunks

Marinade
6 white part spring onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
4 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Salad
250g rice vermicelli noodles - cooked as per packet directions
small handful mint leaves, finely sliced
small handful coriander, finely sliced
1 lebanese cucumber, halved, de-seeded, finely sliced
2 handfuls bean sprouts
1 carrot, grated
4 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts
4 tbsp spring onion oil - I just used regular oil
4 tbsp fried red Asian shallots (you can buy these ready fried, or just fry up some shallots in vegetable oil until crisp, then drain well on a paper towel)
1/2 cup dipping fish sauce

In a large bowl mix the pork with the marinade ingredients. Coat well. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.

Char grill the pork for 1-2 minutes on each side or until brown and cooked.

Pile bowls with noodles and salad ingredients. Dress with a mixture of fish sauce and oil. Top with pork then sprinkle with fried Asian shallots.

No comments: