Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My new hospital study home

Two weeks of medical oncology at charlies in nedlands.
Never been here before. The only hospital experience I have had is 
kalgoorlie regional hospital.
Now I can rejoice in the wonder of a proper tertiary care hospital. 
Ward G73 - the oncology/haematology ward is bigger than the whole 
adult in-patient population at KRH. So exciting, so much to see, so 
many people everywhere.



Medical oncology - so-so.
Radiation oncology - very interesting. Lots of maths, physics, the kind of stuff that I love.
Interesting things about the hospital - the staff - where do they all come from? How or why does someone decide to do a four year undergraduate course in radiation therapy to become a radiation therapist? Do young people studying physics at uni do it with the intention of working in the radiation oncology unit? The hospital team is vast and extends far beyond the doctors and nurses.

Things I have loved -
watching brachytherapy (very gory and scary) - seriously amazing technology
Hanging around the ward
Multidisciplinay meetings - mdms
Seeing patients by myself in radiation oncology clinic

Not so fun -
Medical oncology clinics
Eating lunch all by myself

No comments: