Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Surgery in Bunbury and Bridgetown



Two weeks of surgery...not really my ideal way to spend my options but entirely necessary considering we have a surgery exam in a month and have had no surgery experience yet.

Staying with 2nd cousin Justin Johnston + wife Brodie +/- adult children Gray and Angus. I have only met them once - 5 years ago and cannot remember them. Slightly scary!

Outcome - delicious food
Trip to Bridgetown - saw Di and the old Blackwood house (see photos of surrounding countryside - magnificent)
Surgery - great for learning but I still don't want to be a surgeon
Maybe an anaesthetist (note - it is not pronounced anae - the - tist - .... it is anaeSSS- the - tist)
Apparently I was Justin's 'good luck' charm - we saw lots of pathology when I was around - mostly cancer.
I saw: diverticulosis, inguinal hernia, incisional hernia, umbilical hernia, appendicitis, cholecystitis, haemorrhoids, piles, varicose veins, goitre, GORD + Schatzki's ring, ulcers - gastric and duodenal, bowel cancer, diabetic foot ulcer, pyelonidal sinus and abscess, rectal prolapse, thyroidectomy, colonoscopy, gastroscopy, sebaceous cyst, carpal tunnel syndrome, divariate rectus muscle.

I intubated two people with help from the anaesthetist
I learnt to cannulate

No comments: