Saturday, December 12, 2009

Boatshed Markets - Albany

I have heard a bit about MORE markets in Albany.
Boatshed Markets - 10am Sundays

Supermarket at 8am. Question the service assistant about markets in Albany on Sundays. She is clueless. The lady lined up two behind me piped up - "They have fantastic fish. You have to get there early - 20 minutes before opening - to line up. The seller first on your left as you go in"
That was all the encouragement I needed. Now, where are the markets, followed my nose to the boatshed. 20 minutes in the already scorching sun. Watching the fish being unloaded.
The squid and flathead caught my eye. The smell was so lovely - took me back to days of fishing with Gran down in Busselton. Fifth in line. The first guy bought 1kg of flathead. Only a little bit left - hoping people don't continue to buy in those kinds of quantities. Lucky for me there was plenty left for me.


I also found some locally-made tofu. That might be nice. We will have to wait and see.
Mary bought a whole trout.
When we got home "Daniel, I have something to ask you." "Yes?" "Do you know how to clean and fillet a fish?" That is when I kept very quiet and hid in my room. One thing worse than cleaning a fish for yourself - cleaning it for someone else. Mean? slightly.
Other delicacies at the markets - more beautiful fresh bread, goats cheese, the biggest chicken I have ever seen - nearly as big as pee man, local beef, fruit and vegies, jams, pickles, preserves, more raspberries (I had to resist this time!).

No comments: