Saturday, June 19, 2010

almost ricciarelli - almond biscuits, i wish i had started using a camera instead of my phone for my blog before today



it is disgustingly obvious - but wow - photos off my camera look so much better than iphone photos
I think I will have to stop with the iphone photos and move exclusively to my little camera.
these biscuits are really good
they took about 30 minutes from start to finish
they would be great with a cup of tea
perfectly chewy in the middle and crisp on the outside
Don't be lazy - beat the egg whites by hand

We were running low on icing sugar - so I used 100g icing sugar and 75g caster sugar - maybe this is why mine turned out flat? But they are delicious regardless of shape.
Makes about 30 (quite large) biscuits

175 g ground almonds (I whizzed mine up in the food processor so the biscuits have some texture)
2 tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
175g icing sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp almond essence
Icing sugar, extra - for rolling

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Mix together the almonds, flour, baking powder and sugar.

Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.

Mix together the almond mix, egg whites and almond essence.

Shape into little balls and put onto baking trays. They spread during cooking, so leave some room.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on the tray for a few minutes, then move onto racks.

No comments: